Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting a mammogram, and finding a cure

Crossposted at Living In The House of Testosterone

Click here to donate to the Relay for Life! Normally, I don't talk about getting a mammogram, but I registered yesterday for the annual Relay for Life walk, and so the timing seems right. (click the RFL logo to donate!)

Today I had my 5th mammogram (hell, now I know I'm old!). And while I hate having my boobs squished and handled by a stranger and smushed into pancakes, it's definitely a small price to pay for ensuring my continued health.

I am fortunate to have wonderful insurance that pays for my annual mammogram. I hate that my mom's insurance changed their recommendations and now doesn't pay for the annual, but only once every 4 years (even for older women - I guess they figure older women are bound to die sooner or later, right? Ugh.) Considering my grandmother was diagnosed at age 70 via mammogram, had a mastectomy and lived to be 84, this change in my mom's insurance irks me no end. Of course, it was my paternal grandmother, so she can't even claim familial risk.

When the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force came out last November with new recommendations for mammograms, women and physicians everywhere were outraged (myself included). I worry about the thousands of women who may be affected and go undiagnosed because they didn't get their mammogram.

So today, I am focused on prevention and cure. Prevention because I had my mammogram, I've changed my eating habits to be more healthy, have begun exercising again, and try to do more to be healthier overall. Cure, because I registered, once again, for the Relay for Life walk. The American Cancer Society is a wonderful organization, and if you've never been to the Relay for Life, I encourage you to do so. Not only is it a fantastic fundraiser for funds to find a cure, but it's such an inspiring event, from the survivor's lap to the luminarias that light up the night.

So... here is my plea. Please, please support me in the 2010 Relay for Life. We all know someone who has/survived/passed away from cancer. The most recent to make their way into blogland awareness is Jennifer Haymore, who just finished chemo and will soon be facing radiation. I wish her all the best and have been thinking of her.

If I make my goal this year, I will have raised $6000 for cancer research. I'd love to make it $10k if I could - so I'll be pimping until October. Please bear with me. To donate to find a cure for cancer, please visit my donation page: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/mctclover

Once you've donated, I encourage you to post this badge of honor on your blog or website:
I'm a hero. I donated to find a cure.

Thanks for all your support over the years and for your continued support this year. You guys are truly the best. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails