Saturday, January 15, 2011

ARC: Pride and Pleasure by Sylvia Day

Hot damn. I've been waiting forever for Day's next historical. While I adore her writing, urban fantasy isn't my thing, and so have been (im)patiently waiting out her last several releases. Waiting for MY book *g*. And here it is, thanks to an ARC provided by the author.

Wealth has its dangers…

There are disadvantages to being an heiress, as Eliza Martin knows well. Fortune hunters flock to her, acquaintances lie and pander, and lately, someone is engineering “accidents” to propel her to the altar. But Eliza will not be bullied, and she will get to the bottom of this plot. All she needs is a man to infiltrate her assemblage of suitors and find the culprit. Someone not easily noticed; a proficient dancer, quiet, and even-tempered.

…so do certain men

Thief-taker Jasper Bond is entirely too large, too handsome, and too dangerous. Who would believe that an intellectual like Eliza would be seduced by a man of action? But the combination of her stubbornness and the mystery makes the case one Jasper can’t resist. Client satisfaction is a point of pride and it’s his pleasure to prove he’s just the man she needs after all…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I adored Jasper and Eliza. Flat out loved it. Because although there is an element of mild suspense, most of the focus is strictly on them. And while I expected Jasper to be a badass, he really is all about feeling the love for Eliza, which amazes him (and her) no end, but he runs with it.

Eliza is an incredibly intelligent woman, one who chafes at the bit at the lack of feminine standing in the world. Yet she is not your typical bluestocking. Yes, she has difficulty making socially inane conversation, but she can do it. And she is a strong woman, too, which I love.

I also loved that Eliza and her uncle had a loving relationship, and that she didn't resent looking after him. They had a special bond.

The mystery was fairly easy to solve, but I loved the journey there. Jasper and Eliza's love grew slowly, even though the attraction was there immediately. Day gave them the time to get to know each other, and I loved that. As a result, Jasper wasn't at all the alpha jerk that I expected. He was sweet, kind, and loving with Eliza. She loved that for once someone was taking her at her word. And I loved that when certain things come to light at the end of the book, she doesn't jump to conclusions. She gives Jasper the benefit of the doubt because she knows this man. As well as she knows herself.

All in all, a much more character focused book than many of her historicals, with a bit of mystery/suspense built in. If you are a Day fan, you won't want to miss this. Releases January 25.

6 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to this one. Now you've really whet my appetite. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked it, Phyl. I kept waiting for the mystery to get complicated, or... I don't know what... but it was just a fantastic love story with a touch of mystery being what brings them together. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Lori. Sounds like you really enjoyed this book. I think I'll be looking out for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I didn't know this was coming out. I really liked The Stranger I Married and this one sounds great. Thx for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so much love for this book! I love Sylvia in whatever genre she writes, but I seriously adore her historical voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't it just such a lovely book, Lauren? I so agree - her historical voice is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails