Sunday, April 30, 2006

Deep Blue by Kat Martin


For reporter Hope Sinclair, writing about the recovery of a sunken Spanish treasure off Pleasure Island should be her big chance. But Hope can’t help feeling that she’s been hand-picked for this job for all the wrong reasons. Someone wants Hope out of New York and off the story that could blow a corruption case wide open. If they think sending her to paradise will shut her up, they’ve got another thing coming.

Hope’s subject, treasure hunter Conner Reese, isn’t happy to have her along for the ride. He doesn’t need the publicity, nor does he want an incredibly tempting redhead on board, driving his crew—and himself—to distraction. But there’s something else, too. As a former Navy SEAL, Conner can sense extreme danger, and danger is following Hope Sinclair very, very closely…

Now, in the deceptively serene beauty of a sultry Caribbean paradise, Hope and Conner are moving ever closer to finding a priceless Incan relic, and diving deeper into waters more treacherous than they could possibly imagine… treasure off Pleasure Island should be her big chance. But Hope can’t help feeling that she’s been hand-picked for this job for all the wrong reasons. Someone wants Hope out of New York and off the story that could blow a corruption case wide open. If they think sending her to paradise will shut her up, they’ve got another thing coming.

Not a compelling read. I’m usually pretty compulsive about finishing a book once I’ve started it but I had no problem putting this one down to do something/anything else. The relic doesn’t figure much in the story and the tension of the plot is weak. I liked Hope and Conn but there were just too many push/pull scenes: she’s hot for him, he’s hot for her, but… She loves him but doesn’t trust him because of a previous relationship gone bad; he loves her but she just won’t let herself commit. And the sense of danger doesn’t build, it’s just there, sort of. This is the third in a series about 3 sisters but I haven’t read the other two books, Midnight Sun and Desert Heat. Maybe they’re better.

On the positive side, at least I finished it. It was good enough for me to persevere to the end.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Linda *g*

    I have a hard time not finishing books as well. And hate it when I don't like them. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She used to be an autobuy author for me years ago, but then too many uninteresting books. I tried Midnight Sun not too long ago and while I finished it, it wasn't nearly good enough to put her back on my autobuy list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda! So good to see you posting! Too bad it wasn't about a fantastic book. This was one that sounded like my kind of book, too. I'm glad to see your review, and Kristie's comment too, because I probably would have put this higher on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy guacamole! Linda didn't finish a book! YIKES! That must mean it sucks bad. Thanks for the heads up Linda. I now know to steer clear of this book. *G*

    Sorry it was a crappy read for you though. It's very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails