Thursday, January 11, 2007

2 by NJ Walters - The Return of Patrick O'Rourke and Craving Candy

Return of Patrick O'Rourke - Yummy!So. I've been reading up a storm. I've been waiting for these two books with baited breath. I love love love NJ Walters' books. There is just something about her writing that draws you in, grabs you, and keeps you.

The Return of Patrick O'Rourke
This book is the 3rd in the Jamesville series. Patrick is the brother of Dani, the heroine of book 1. This book takes place about 11 or 12 years after book 1 (kind of weird, since that book was written last year, but what are ya gonna do? Patrick needed his own book, and he was too young!). Anyway, he is a NYC cop, shot in the line of duty. He comes home to Jamesville to recover, and finds himself attracted to, and involved with Shannon.

I was struck by the similarities and the differences between this book and Taking Chase by Lauren Dane. The portrayal of Shannon as a domestic abuse victim is excellent, as it was in Taking Chase. Odd that I read these books so close together. Uncomfortable in a way. And because of that, I almost felt where this book was going. But Ms Walters has such a different writing style than Ms Dane, so the journey in each of the books was totally different.

I have said over and over how much I love reading NJ Walters' books, and this one was no exception. She chooses her words so beautifully, and her characters are drawn so lovingly. You can feel the care that goes into each NJ Walters book. A thoroughly terrific read.

Craving CandyCraving Candy
This is book 4 in the Awakening Desires series. A story of a man who grew up in an abusive household, with a past that I would imagine is sadly all too common for children in abusive situations. Anyway, he makes something of himself, but lives in constant fear of repeating the cycle, so never allows himself to get too close to a woman. Meet Candy. His publicist. They meet anonymously and fall instantly in lust. Once they discover who the other actually is, the fireworks begin.

Ms Walters does a wonderful job of building the relationship between these two, along with the graphic, hot sex that they share. Lucas grows into the relationship despite himself. He is a beautiful man, inside and out - wounded, but so full of love to give. I was totally into this guy.

And, can I say, that I loved that he was my age. An unapologetic 41 year old hero. Who was hot. With staying power. (I must admit, I did wonder about his ability to do it over and over and over again without any rest in between at 41, but, hey, good for him, and it's fantasy... LMAO!!).

I think that each of the books in this series has had its own personality. In tone, this is probably most like book 1. And, in fact, Lucas is good friends with Katie and Cain from that book.

Anyway, I enjoyed both of these books immensely. The Return of Patrick O'Rourke is available from Samhain Publishing and Craving Candy is available at Ellora's Cave.

4 comments:

  1. They both sound like very good books. I just wish *sigh* that more of the ebooks were published in print for those of us having trouble adapting to the ebook market

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love NJ's writing. I think her voice is truly special and she's one of my very favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time since my last NJ book. I'll have to fix that now that you've reminded me of her beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lori for your wonderful post and for the lovely compliments.

    And thank you Lauren. I'm a big fan of your books too, as you already know. *g*

    Patrick's book should be out in print in late March, early April, Kristie. The first two in the series are already out in print from Samhain Publishing if you want to check them out. The first two books in the Awakening Desires series are also out in print!

    Shame on you, Jennifer B. LOL Just kidding. So many books, so little time. I know I find it impossible to keep up. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails