Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Short Note on Jacob

Since Jen so ably reviewed Jacob last week, I'm not going to belabor it other than to say her review was dead on, as always. I will tell you a few other things. I really enjoyed Isabella. Finally! A heroine I can like. She kicked ass! I loved her irreverence - her ability to retain her sense of self and her sense of humor in the face of the huge life-altering events happening around her. And the way she brought humor into the lives of these very serious characters. I also appreciated their ability to recognize her humor and appreciate it as well.

There were only a couple things that bothered me in this book - the story did bog down for me a tad somewhere about 2/3 through, but only for 30 or 40 pages, then it picked right back up. That may be where Jen was talking about Frank's "clunkiness" and where she tried too hard. And the only part that gave me pause continuously throughout was Jacob's "love name" for Isabella. Am I the only person who was bugged by the incessant use of "little flower"? Ick. However, there are probably people who would think that the nicknames that my hubby and I have for each other are completely vomitrocious, so who am I to complain? But at least we keep those private. (And, we were only 19 when we came up with them, not 500, LOL.)

And, I should also point out that I mistakenly thought this was a book about vampires, which it is NOT. It was an interesting foray into a world of Demons that I had not ventured into before, and my first step toward my 2007 goal of expanding my reading horizons. Aren't you proud of me?

6 comments:

  1. Wayyy proud! *g* And I nodded throughout your comments as well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little flower? Ewww. I'll just skip over that as I read I guess. Thanks to you and Jen for the heads up for the fact that the bogged down portion is 30-40 pages. I'll trudge through them. Thanks, you guys, for your insight into this book. As always, you made me want to read a book I was reluctant to. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not down with Little Flower, either, but I AM proud of you. lol

    I'm definitely picking this up tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be really interested to see what you think of it, Holly. Definitely let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it! :)

    Someday I'll review it, too. But in the meantime, I did enjoy it. Except for the thing with the sister and "little flower" thing. That got on my nerves QUICK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - I knew it would *g*

    BUT, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails