Thursday, April 09, 2009

Laird Of The Mist by Paula Quinn


Title: Laird Of The Mist
Author: Paula Quinn

Type: Scottish Historical
Published: 2007

Blurb:

Protecting Her Was His Passion
High-born though she is, Kate Campbell isn't afraid to draw her sword. When raiders strike, she rushes into the fray…and is lucky when a mysterious Highlander shields her from a deadly blow. Swept onto his stallion, she soon discovers that her rescuer is her clan's most hated enemy: Callum MacGregor, the man they call The Devil. Yet she can not ignore his achingly tender touch or the way his fiery gaze leaves her breathless…

Possessing Her Would Be His Pleasure
Callum MacGregor has taken many Campbell lives, but he's never saved one—until now. Mesmerized by this spirited lass, he wants her by his side—even if it means holding her ransom. As his fingers graze her sumptuous curves and tangle in her unruly tresses, Callum realizes Kate Campbell is his most dangerous foe of all. For he can't make love to her without betraying his kinsmen and his honor…and surrendering his heart forever.

Why: I'm fairly certain I came by this title via a blogger--it was either a release announcement with blurb or a review. Didn't make note of it though, so I've no one to credit.

Thoughts: Really, really enjoyed it. Mind you, there is absolutely positively nothing new here--it's all been done before. But Quinn's arrangement, characters and voice render it one of the better Scottish "re-makes" I've read yet. A total romp, brimming with Highland charm and brutality.

Quinn's tortured laird is compelling and his captive the perfect mix of feisty and vulnerable. I hung on every word, every look, and every touch exchanged between these two--and fell easily in love right along with them. In short, I was happily romanced in the finest Scottish tradition set by Garwood years ago. I'm pretty sure I sighed in contentment every time the heroine nestled herself into the laird's massive chest, every time she relaxed into the safety and security those arms offered. Funny too were their shared jokes over her propensity to sleep whenever in his arms.

I also enjoyed the hilarity provided by her laird's warriors. They were genuinely funny, proportionately fierce and just as integral to moving the story forward as the H and H. Their growing affection for their captive helped push both her and the laird toward their HEA--providing just the right insight into both at just the right moments. And in the interest of sequel-baiting, Quinn deftly positioned the mightiest of them as the sigh-inducing hero of her next installment. Again, very well done. I already have it on order through my library.

The laird's quirky but damaged sister--and her instant friendship with the enemy captive--also appealed. I thoroughly enjoyed their innocent, adolescent girl-time spent amidst the sister's barnyard pets. Endearing and funny--I swear there was charm at every turn in this book.

A good thing, because that pervasive charm helped offset the brutality and menace provided by the story's villain. True to the setting and time period, Quinn challenged her characters with the basest of cruelties--going so far as to attach nearly as many to her hero (in the form of violent deaths wrought by his hands; he was never a cruel torturer). Thankfully, Quinn balanced or contrasted this darkness perfectly against the good in her characters and the hope of an HEA. I wasn't nearly as squeamish about the events in this book as I was by the witch hunt stuff in Jen Hollings' My Immortal Protector. Perhaps because here I never doubted the laird's power to protect the heroine.

Overall, the perfect romantic escape for the historical Scottish romance lover. Where I thought Garwood may have ruined me for others, Paula Quinn proved otherwise.

Note: Per Quinn's website, this "series" ends with the second book. At present, she is working on a new series featuring the children of these heroes and heroines. Couldn't find any upcoming release dates, so I'm not sure if there is a completed book waiting in the publishing wings anywhere. I'll admit to being a little disappointed. Not that I have any right to be--my TBR list pretty much has me booked until 2011.

5 comments:

  1. I love this book. I read it in January and granted it Keeper status, then bought extra copies for friends. You're right that there's nothing new in this book. The story, the setting, the characters--it's all been done before. But what really made this book a keeper for me was the interaction and the chemistry between the characters. Such a wonderful book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JenB! Just received notification that the follow up to this one has arrived at my library. Yay! Did you read that one too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're out of your slump, Jen :) Glad that you enjoyed it... I'm just not such a fan of historical romance, so I'll probably be skipping this one ^_^;

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a good one. While I liked her first three books this one definitely turned me into an auto-buyer for Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Understand Nath, don't practice it, but understand, LOL. I'm not keen on contemporaries but they account for a good chunk of my reading. And yes!!! I'm reading more and lovin it.

    Tracy - I was considering her first three...good, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails