Friday, September 10, 2010

Stand Up 2 Cancer

As I sit here watching the Stand Up 2 Cancer telethon, I've found myself tearing up many times. It's really been beautifully done from what I've seen of it so far.

Cancer and stroke are the two causes that I fight to find a cure for all year long. My dad died 6 years ago today from multiple strokes of unknown etiology. My grandparents all had cancer - for two of them, it was their cause of death. I have many friends who have suffered from cancer, some who have survived, and others who have not. My brother-in-law had melanoma. My mom just lost her best friend two weeks ago from complications from her cancer treatment. My oldest child is named for my husband's grandmother, who passed away from leukemia about 2 weeks before he was born.

Yet, we also have many, many friends who have had a happy ending. My husband's musical partner is a survivor of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. And that is due to positive thinking, wonderful treatment and physicians, amazing families, and the grace of G-d.  The wonderful treatment they received wouldn't be possible without incredible people like you, who support the cause; who support finding a cure in deed as well as in word.

I hope that you will support me in my quest to find a cure for cancer by donating to my Walk for Life. You can donate on my page here. If everyone I know donated only $10, I could make my goal with ease. But even if you can only donate $5, or even $1, you will be making a huge difference in the lives of so many. Every penny counts. I'm so pleased that this year, it's a family affair again. My kids are both walking, and youngest is raising money as well. My husband's band will be performing at the event again, too. And oldest will be walking the graveyard shift with his friends like they do each year (ahhh, the stamina of a teenager!).

This song was written for a friend of my husband's who passed away from lung cancer at age 30. She was a non-smoker and had no family history. A couple weeks later, my husband's grandmother passed away. Mary Carves the Chicken dedicated this song to both of them. I hope you'll listen to it.

Great Wide Open

Please, please help out. All it takes is a few clicks of your mouse. And for those of you who have donated to my walk each and every year, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are heroes, each and every one of you.

Donate here. And thank you for your heroism.

1 comment:

  1. Shoot!!! I completely forgot about that. I wonder if I can find it on youtube or hulu. I still want to watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails