Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Born In Death JD Robb


Eve Dallas has a grisly double homicide to solve when two young lovers-both employees of the same prestigious accounting firm-are brutally killed on the same night. It doesn't leave Eve a lot of leftover time to put together a baby shower for her buddy Mavis, but that's supposedly what friends are for.

Now Mavis needs another favor. Tandy Willowby, one of the moms-to-be in Mavis's birthing class, didn't show up for the shower. A recent emigrant from London, Tandy has few friends in New York, and no family-and she was really looking forward to the party. And when Eve enters Tandy's apartment and finds a gift for Mavis's shower wrapped and ready on the table-and a packed bag for the hospital still on the floor next to it-tingling runs up and down her spine.

Normally, such a case would be turned over to Missing Persons. But Mavis wants no one else on the job but Eve-and Eve can't say no. She'll have to track Tandy down while simultaneously unearthing the deals and double-crosses hidden in the files of some of the city's richest and most secretive citizens, in a race against this particularly vicious killer. Luckily, her multimillionaire husband Roarke's expertise comes in handy with the number crunching. But as he mines the crucial data that will break the case wide open, Eve faces an all too real danger in the world of flesh and blood.


What can I said that probably hasn't been said before about the In Death Series. It's always fresh, entertaining and in some cases a little gruesome. Of core when you heroine is a homicide detective it comes with the job.

As usual JD/Nora manages to tangle up the story line so you never quite sure who the killer(s) are, I had my suspicions, but that would telling so I'll keep that part to myself. Focused around Eve and her delicious husband Roarke this story has more twists and turns than a roller coaster ride and is IMO tens time more exhilarating. Roarke found a way to get himself all tangled up in the investigation. Without giving away the plot I have to say I was just as outraged right along with him and Eve. Mix in the fact that Eve is to throw a baby shower for Mavis as well as solve her case, and some how juggle a missing persons case. Nora/JD mixed and swirled the plots so seamlessly I was amazed. I was never lost in terms of what was going on and the twisting of the good with bad made it a very enjoyable read.

My favorite cast of characters are back Peabody, McNab, Dr. Mira, Nadine, Feeney, Commander Whitney, and this time around we will finally have the birth of Mavis and Leonardo's baby. For me it's one of the many reasons I was foaming at the bit to get my hands on this book. Of course the blessed event wasn't revealed till the very end. Which was for me a struggle to not peek to get the answer I have been waiting for, but I did manage to hold out. The impending birth of the baby and the fact that Eve and Roarke were asked by Mavis to participate is enough to make me laugh out loud still. Well written and thought out I felt like I was there with them in the delivery room.

Poor Eve, hopefully Nora/JD will wait quiet some time before making her a mother. She can wade through all sorts of grisly crime scenes, but birth no way. I'm paraphrasing here, but in one scene with her and Feeney he makes comment about her never having to assist in a birth in all her years on NYPSD, and she replies with 11 years and she never had to and doesn't want to either.

The plot moved along at a even pace and had me enthralled from the get go. So much so that I read the book in one sitting and while I suspected at one point who the killer was, she still managed to surprise me. The motive behind the killings was quite sinister and had my stomach in knots.

All in all it was a great read and a keeper for certain.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! I just re-read Naked in Death for a book discusson and I still love it as much as I did the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn! So glad to see you posting again!!!

    You know, I've never been a huge NR fan, or a JD Robb fan, but I may give her another try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it's good to be back. I made myself a promise to try and post once a week if I can. Let's see if I can do it.

    I sure hope you try JD Robb again. IMO every one should love Eve and Roarke. LOL

    Take care

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set myself a goal to re-read all of the "In Death" books before this was released. I didn't *quite* make it, so "Born In Death" sits, beckoning me while I force myself to finish the others so I am completely up to date with all the little private jokes and such that fill these books.

    Glad to hear it was a winner. Now I just need to read faster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you reviewing again Jenn!

    I agree, settling down with this particular cast of characters never fails to disappoint. Especially Eve and Roarke. Whether Roberts chooses to share the 'comfort' of their relationship during the course of an investigation or fuel new and dangerous sparks between them, it doesn't matter. I will never tire of them. Honestly.

    One thing I am noticing is that Roberts is sharpening their wit. The dialogue between Eve and Roarke is hilarious. I saw this in the short In Death that was featured in the Bump In The Night anthology (where Eve called Roarke a "sally" when he balked at the entrance of a haunted building). And again in Born In Death. They crack me up.

    Oh, and we're going to hold you to that review per week promise. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nora Roberts and JD Robb...both authors I've never read.

    If I would, where should I start?????

    So many damn books. So little time.
    LOL!

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails