Thursday, April 07, 2011

First post about #RT11

This year, RT is taking place in my backyard. And because we're totally tapped out after youngest's bar mitzvah, I couldn't afford to either take a week off work or to pay for the entire convention. Much sadness ensued. Then, Holly, Tracy, Nikki, Renee, Rosie, and I decided that we could do the weekend. So I'm planning on checking in Friday morning and hanging til Sunday morning.

Well, yesterday I received an email from the lovely and wonderful Malle Vallik of Harlequin/Carina Press asking me to a dinner that she and Angela James were hosting. (thanks for the referral, Holly!) Of course, I immediately emailed the hubby, told him the kids were on their own for a 2nd night in a row, and answered in the affirmative for dinner. Pretty much a no-brainer. An invitation to dinner to talk about books? I'm so there! One of the tremendous perks of being local. And of having teenagers who'd rather call for a pizza than almost anything else.

Well, it turns out that both Malle and Angie are beautiful, wonderful, gracious people, and I had a lovely time. OK, it was lovely except for the 10 minutes when I was suffering from The. Worst. Hot. Flash. Ever. I seriously think I freaked everyone out. And I thought I would die. Yes. D. I. E.

Also in attendance was Smart Bitch Sarah, who is one of the funniest women I've met. And also just very lovely and gracious, too. So there was me, Tracy, Renee, Amber, Barbara Vey, Mallory, and Katie. All talking books, Goodreads, and peeves. Oh, and amazing food, too! Truly a wonderful evening. So thanks again, Malle!

I started out the evening with lovely long curls. This pic was post-hotflash.
Missing is Barbara, who manned all the cameras.

Afterward, Tracy and I hung in the bar chatting with LB Gregg (aka our very own Lisabea). As we were ready to leave, I spotted Lauren Dane and had to go interrupt her conversation to say hi. Yes, I was rude and pushy, but there you have it and she was very sweet about my interruption :)

I will be heading out to RT tomorrow by lunchtime (hopefully - I have to call in to two meetings tomorrow morning - ugh). I'm sharing a room with Holly, Nikki, and Tracy. Should be a blast! And we'll be hanging in the bar Saturday evening at about 7:00 as "the SoCalBloggers" just waiting for all the authors and other bloggers to come visit with us. Well, ok. We'll be there gawking and drinking and laughing and we hope that anyone who is there that wants to visit will swing by.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds so fun! I wish I could be there! Did I hear next year the convention will be in Chicago? Because that would be MY backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I had SUCH a blast last night! The conversation rocked and the company was awesome! Can't wait to hang out with you some more. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @avoriana, I've heard it's in Chicago next year. Hmmm, I <3 Chicago!

    @Renee, it WAS a blast. And I'm so impressed with how well you're doing post-surgery! You look great! Can't wait to see you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a great time! Thanks for sharing the picture. Please take a bunch more this weekend. :)

    Hot Flashes? How could you be getting hot flashes? I thought we were the same age. I hope I don't get them any time soon and you don't either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a great picture and a great time! Have a wonderful time today, Lori.

    Ugh on the hot flash--those are NOT welcomed when out having a good time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, My mom, sister, & grandmother were all 45 when they hit. It runs early in my family, and apparently that's hereditary. Who knew?

    Already put the"real" camera in my purse so hopefully I'll remember to actually use it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, what a fabulous group to chat with over dinner! Katie is like one of my most favoritest library people EVER! And not being there to meet Amber in person - I just want to kick myself in the teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, Lori! Sounds like you had such fun, great opening to RT!! :)

    ugh on hot flashes though ^_^; But you survived it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori!!

    How neat! I really really wanted to go but we had a family wedding so I missed this!! It looks like you all had an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED getting to meet you in person! I wish we'd had more time to visit, grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really considered going to RT again this year and seeing all my SoCal peeps but Wendy said most of you wouldn't be going. But oh my, it sure would have been great to see you all!!! And aren't Angie and Malle great? I went to dinner with them last year at RWA. They invited me to visit the office in Toronto since it's only a couple of hours from where I live, but then I went and broke the darn leg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. KristieJ: Oh sure, throw me under the bus *g* When I asked, everybody told me "probably just the booksigning."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the group shot. Tracy told me all about it, with me salivating over meeting some of my favorite authors and sadness that I had to miss the So. Cal bloggers get-together because of a schedule conflict. Hoping to get with everyone at the next get-together. And next year . . . of course. Tracy and I are already planning some stuff for next year. Thanks for sharing your comments and all the pics.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails