Wednesday, October 26, 2005

To The Limit by Cindy Gerard


Last week, I read a review of Kill Me Twice by Roxanne St. Clair. The story's premise, albeit a popular and maybe overdone one, appealed to me. Just what I was in the mood for. So, on a rare impulse buy, I picked up this and one other 'similar-in-appearance' book--To The Limit by Cindy Gerard.

I liked them both. But To The Limit was stronger. More complex plot, harder to guess mystery, deeper characterization of both its H/H and secondary characters. And a palpable connection--emotional and physical--between the H/H.

Both feature H/H's in the PI business, all but one with military or government security training. Both feature eccentric billionaires, kidnap victims and decoy corporate mouthpieces. But where Kill Me Twice was a quick, enjoyable read, To The Limit drew me in. Provoked feeling, fear and need.

Its H/H felt more vulnerable, arriving at the conclusion bruised and battered emotionally and physically. In Kill Me Twice, the H/H escape physical harm even in the most dangerous circumstances. That doesn't always bother me--that lack of believability--but I found To The Limit to be a truer telling of relationships, family and dangerous professions. Its believability and strong characterization made it the better of the two reads.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, I was searching around for info on how to write a good blog. I found yours and it seems to be written well. I have a couple of blogs and I have decided to have some on current affairs and others on my personal stuff. One of my blogs in www.adminsupervisor.blogspot.com and another one is my work at home mums site. You have given me a couple of tips of what I want to write about so cheers! Come and look at my site in a couple of weeks or so, it will be better then. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like one I will pick up - thanks Jennifer!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails