Monday, October 13, 2008

Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force - a quickie review

Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force
I heard about this from all the buzz over at Book Binge. And so glad I decided to pick it up. It’s sports romance ála Rachel Gibson, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, etc. This book has been reviewed a lot, so I’ll just give a quick overview of what I liked and didn’t.

I really, really liked that Ryan was a fully developed 3-dimensional character, not a cookie-cutter sports hero. Totally willing and able to discuss his feelings with his wife. To be able to be the first one to say “I don’t want a divorce.” He was willing to give everything up to be with Susannah. If only he had realized it just a little earlier on. I loved that he fell in love with her in college and was still in love with her 10 years later.

I liked that Susannah was willing to get over her engagement to Henry long enough to try again. I liked that she was sassy and unimpressed by his fame. I liked that he liked that about her also.

What didn’t I like? I didn’t like that Susie assumed the worst of Ryan at the ball – assuming he’d lied about having an affair. It seemed to me to be the one area that he was always very straight up with her about, and that she really shouldn’t have had any worries on. However, having been pregnant, I know that hormones sometimes do make one irrational. But still….

I also really hated his attitude in the first scene. Granted, it was bravado in the face of his injury and his wife’s new fiancé, but it just didn’t jive with his character as Force built it in the rest of the book.

Having said that, I simply loved this boo. Pure escapism, with lots of deep emotion, good humor, sex, and fun. What more can you ask? I’ll be looking for more of Marie Force’s books.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! didn't think I would, but it caught me up in the warm fuzzies and wouldn't let go. Ryan was just so in love with his wife, I had to love him back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it a good read? I loved the story, the relationship and the nice love scenes :D
    Can't wait to see what next Force has up her sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all of my new-to-me authors this year will come via your recommendations Lori. I'm adding Force to my TBR list--LIST, not stack. Between you, Anne, my library and UBS...I'm starting to get a tick...too many books in my closet. And it is a walk-in closet, lots of room in there...still, I'm twitching. LOL But seriously, thanks for the rec Chick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Just tell me when you're ready, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I have it in my TBR book :P I was wanting a sport romance... but I'm just not sure about Susannah...

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails