Saturday, October 04, 2008

Promises Reveal



Dedicated artist Evie Washington doesn't fancy herself the marrying kind. But the moment she admits that her faceless portrait of a naked man was modeled on the devilishly handsome Reverend Swanson, the whole town assumes she has been ruined. Now, her family's determined to save her reputation - even if it means taking away her hard-won freedom.

However, it's Brad "Shadow" Swanson's preacher status that's a pose - to avoid the law. Now that he's been convicted of the one crime he didn't commit, if he doesn't step up and marry Evie, he'll have to admit his true identity and replace his collar with a noose. Of course, a life sentence in the spirited beauty's bed wouldn't exactly be torture - and it just might be the key to making an honest man out of him.


For fans of Sarah McCarty’s Promise series, this story about the Reverend Brad is possibly the most anticipated book she’s ever written. It certainly was for me. From the first Promise book, the irreverent preacher has been much loved. He has met his perfect match in Evie, the unconventional artist.

As a person deeply involved with faith and religion, I very much appreciated Brad’s occasional comments to God. This ex-outlaw was living the gospel even though he didn’t realize it. Not that this is in any way implied in the story. First and foremost this is a romance. There is no preaching. Well, actually there is and, boy, did the Rev let it fly, along with his fists! We could all do with a similar wake-up call to get more involved in caring for one another. But this is not a Christian romance – it is erotic as only Sarah McCarty can write it.

Promises Reveal was funnier than I remember Ms. McCarty’s books being. I laughed in so many places throughout the book, mostly at Evie’s shenanigans. And there were a few places that were so poignant I got tears in my eyes.

It was a joy to revisit Cattle Crossing and all the characters from the previous Promise books. It is a wonderful community of characters who band together and take care of one another. Ms. McCarty has given the reader glimpses of some other characters who should also be given their own Promise story – Millie, Elijah, Nidia, Gray, Brenna and Jackson.

Now I’m inspired to go back and read the other books again. If I could give Promises Reveal more than A+ I would.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read Rev's story (And we can all thank Lori for hooking me on the Promises series). I just have to buy it first.

    And you're right. This is probably the most anticipated book SM has ever written.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot I sent you all those books, Dev!

    Can't wait to read this one, Linda. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Linda -- you grabbed me with the humor. Looking forward to it even more now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails