Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Amazon Best of for 2009

Ok, wow. So the Amazon 10 Best Books in... categories are out. Editor and Customer Favorites. I was surprised to see that in the top 10 customer favorites for romance, there are 3 Nora Roberts books and 7 paranormals. The 3 NRs weren't the surprise, but really? 7 paranormals? Was nothing else released/purchased besides Nora and paranormals? I found that trend interesting. Customer Favorites were defined as bestselling books through October 2009.

The list for customer favorites is:
  1. Vision in White
  2. Bed of Roses
  3. Lover Avenged
  4. Skin Trade
  5. Black Hills
  6. Hidden Currents
  7. Dream Fever
  8. Bad Moon Rising
  9. Dark Slayer
  10. Covet

Editor's top picks are:
  1. Angels' Blood
  2. Smooth Talking Stranger
  3. Kiss of a Demon King
  4. The Perfect Poison
  5. Bending the Rules
  6. What Happens in London
  7. Fireside
  8. A Duke of Her Own
  9. Immortal Outlaw
  10. Angel Lane


Interestingly, not a NR in the bunch. What say you? Which list do you agree with more?

Last note: I'm not surprised that in their Editor's Top 100 picks across all books, there's not a single "romance" in the group, although the new Audrey Niffenegger is on it.
#8 on the Customer Top 100 is Dead and Gone. Finger Lickin' Fifteen is #22. Vision in White #52. Bed of Roses #85.  Plus a lot of what I would consider chick lit as well as suspense/thriller.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I pay little heed to industry lists.. BUT I see Skin Game on there. Working up a review yet, but can say here...Wow book, total Wow, F'ing Fab book. Best of the year perhaps for me. And can't say all that without thanking Rosie for her powerful recommendation.

    On these lists Lori--how many of titles did you read? Curious cuz you're not a paranormal reader generally, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. Skin Trade, not Game. Still glad I plugged it anyway, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care about any lists really ^_^; Amazon, NY Times, Bestseller, etc. Is it bad?

    Hmmm, the top 10 list for customers favorite... I don't know, I do think it reflects more what people have been buying... Notice that there's a lot of trade-size and HC in that one.

    The thing is, unless it's a blogger or a reader or a normal person... I think that industry lists are biased and do not reflect reality. Either it reflects someone's warp vision or what "they" think customers/readers want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to choose, it would be the Editors' picks, but I don't pay attention to amazon really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read 2 off the customer favorites and 4 from the Editor's picks. And none of those would make my top ten for the year.

    I'm with the crowd, don't put much stock into lists like these. Interesting though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, even as a paranormal reader, there are only 2 on the customer top 10 that I would even read--Skin Trade and Dreamfever, and I haven't--I'm still waiting for my requests for the audiobooks to get in at the library.

    I see more books I like on the editors' list, but just barely. Even so, only Angels' Blood would have made my top 10. Well, maybe What Happens in London.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't pay attention to the lists, other than to see if there's anything I forgot to get that I wanted, LOL. But I was just struck that one list carried only Nora and paranormal. Struck enough to comment on it and see what everyone else thought about it. Cause really? Is that all we're reading? Or at least buyinf from Amazon, LOL?

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails