Sunday, August 01, 2010

Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt... quickie

A MAN CONTROLLED BY HIS DESIRES . . .
Infamous for his wild, sensual needs, Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, is searching for a savage killer in St. Giles, London's most notorious slum. Widowed Temperance Dews knows St. Giles like the back of her hand-she's spent a lifetime caring for its inhabitants at the foundling home her family established. Now that home is at risk...

A WOMAN HAUNTED BY HER PAST . . .
Caire makes a simple offer-in return for Temperance's help navigating the perilous alleys of St. Giles, he will introduce her to London's high society so that she can find a benefactor for the home. But Temperance may not be the innocent she seems, and what begins as cold calculation soon falls prey to a passion that neither can control-one that may well destroy them both.

A BARGAIN NEITHER COULD REFUSE


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow, this was so very wonderful. Very intense, and quite dark. In Hoyt's other books there was quite a bit of dark humor, much of it self-deprecating, mostly on the part of her heroes. While this book is darker than her others, likely due to its subject matter, I still found myself completely engaged. Watching Caire open himself up to Temperance without even a whimper. And seeing Temperance learn to let her true nature shine through. Yes, it was angsty, but the angst completely fit the story.

The secondary characters are wonderful as well, and as always, the fairy tale told fits the story completely. My heart broke for Silence, Temperance's sister, who risked everything for her love and had it backfire. She and William will have a long road to recover from their heartache. And oh, how I hope that Hoyt allows them to do so over the next couple of books without killing me from the agony.

6 comments:

  1. How funny, I just started writing my review of this one as well. I agree with you, it was much darker than her other books. But just as wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what I realized? That I've been getting mixed up between Elizabeth Hoyt and Stephanie Laurens... I know, how could I? Anyway, glad to hear this one was very good :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been getting back on the bus with historicals, currently listening to Married by Morning. I love EH's writing, and this sounds like a good one. (I like a touch of "dark" to my stories.) So, this may be one I get to really soon!

    This is the first review of it that I've seen, and I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've got me itching to read this one. I should be getting it soon - might need to stalk the mailman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it was so good!

    Oh, Nath, I agree. How could you get them mixed up? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, no idea... I guess because they have books coming out... yeah, weak explanation ^_^;

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails