Tuesday, January 26, 2010

YotH: Royal's Bride and Reese's Bride by Kat Martin

Yay! Another year, another challenge. This month for the challenge, I read the first book in the Dewar bride trilogy.



Royal's Bride is the story of Royal Dewar, who came back to England when his father was on his deathbed. He makes a promise to his father to marry Jocelyn, a wealthy heiress whose dowry would help restore the family's wealth. The day of Jocelyn's arrival, she has a carriage accident and Royal rides to her rescue. He begins to believe that marriage to Jocelyn won't be too bad - he is attracted to her, and she feels good in his arms. Once awakened, it's revealed that the woman is Lily, Jocelyn's cousin, serving in the companion role.

What I liked so much about this book was that Royal and Lily are truly determined to do the right thing. Although they are tremendously attracted to one another, and are falling in love, they try so hard to stay away from each other. They just can't. I liked that Royal was completely honest in his feelings toward Lily - with her, his friends, and most importantly, himself. His sense of honor wouldn't allow him to go back on his word and his father's wish that he marry Jocelyn. Of course, that didn't mean that he could keep his hands off Lily - he couldn't.

For her part, Jocelyn is a selfish girl - out only for herself and her own pleasure. She begins a sexual relationship with another man; one who dominates her in bed and refuses to be ruled by her out of it. She discovers that she really wants him, not her fiance.

In the interim, Lily helps Royal to find the man who defrauded his father and stole the family fortune. Her uncle and his cronies, from the stews, are con artists, and Lily used to be, too. They concoct a plan and it goes well until the very end, when they are found out. In the end, of course, it all works out, Jocelyn jilts Royal, and they all live happily ever after.

There was a great dynamic between Royal, his brothers, and his friends. Lily was a terrific heroine. Although the ending was a little cliched with the climax of the money scheme, the majority of the book was filled with good, strong emotions, and good characters I really liked.

ETA: I was planning on reviewing both books 1 & 2, but got lazy *g*

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm, sounds pretty good, Lori :D I've read some of Kat Martin's contemporary and always found something amiss.However, this sounds pretty good :D Is it a re-issue by the way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, it isn't a reissue. It's her current historical series. The third book about the third brother is about to be released.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read 1 Kat Martin book and it was sci fi and I really didn't like it at all. I hate to judge an author from 1 book so maybe I'll have to check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another author I haven't read in years. Don't remember why I stopped reading her.

    I like the way you descibed Royal, his honesty about his feelings and trying to do the honorable thing. And he still couldn't keep his hands off her. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to adore Kat Martin's historicals, but I've let my reading of them drop off. Good thing I still buy her stuff almost as soon as it's released, eh?

    Good review -- I'll have to pick this one up off the TBR soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one, Lori. You should have given me the heads up on this one on Sunday when I needed book buying help. LOL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I was awake for 5 minutes. It's a wonder I could even type. LMAO.

    Let me see if I still have it, and I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And here I thought you'd be up close to noon on a Sunday. What was I thinking? LOL!

    Thank you! I'd love to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Lori, quickly, what did you think of book 2?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to enjoy Kat Martin's historicals, but haven't read her books in years! This one sounds really good... I'm looking up this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nath, I liked book 2 enough to preorder book 3 :)

    Book 2 is a reunited lovers story. Sad, but a great backstory based on a big misunderstanding that was out of the control of the hero or heroine.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails