Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Irish Devil by Diane Whiteside (spoilers)

Had a friend ask me about this one and I told her, with brutal honesty. I then debated as to whether I should tell you—blog reader—the same thing, in the same words. Decided the answer was yes. It’s crude and contains spoilers. But here goes anyway.

In the Irish Devil, Whiteside sets up the scenario of a woman at jeopardy from a cruel bastard who practically runs their small western mining town. The hero is his enemy, a prosperous and generous freight hauler who is also feared--but who always fights for those who cannot protect themselves. After the first 50 pages, I was attached to the heroine; I feared for her safety and wanted the hero to accept responsibility for protecting her tout suite.

The heroine of course wanted his protection for herself as well. I was not surprised or appalled when she figures that to gain his protection, she would have to offer herself as his mistress for three months. Given the layout of the story and the events leading up to this point, her offer of herself made sense.

But here is where the story breaks down. I absolutely did not care for his pretty much "sure, good idea" acceptance of her proposal. Since Whiteside had presented him as an honorable guy, this didn't seem a good fit. And I certainly did not care for his IMMEDIATE instruction that she go down on him. You know, to get the arrangement well underway. Then, having been struggling to survive, living in fear and having had little in the way of extensive or satisfying sex with her previous husband (she is a widow), our heroine LOVES the oral sex. Of course she did. And when he “plays” with her a bit afterwards (which you and I both know only provides minor release), she is completely satisfied, happy and contented enough to fall blissfully asleep. She then takes up the role of mistress as though she were made for it.

While that scene paved the way for explicit, hot sex going forward in the book, it did nothing to establish any emotional connection or potential emotional connection between these characters.

In the end, I can say I pretty much read it for the sex. Not for the storytelling. No connections. No sharing in a character’s chuckle or sensing another’s hesitation. Nothing.

4 comments:

  1. I had heard that this book wasn't up to par, now I'm really glad I didn't bother to attempt to read it. Good review btw. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!! I've looked at this book before, and I had a feeling that I wouldn't like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back, I seem to remember conflicting opinions about this book. It may be one of those you love it or you hate it tales. I for one have to have a well-threaded story--not just two of the beautiful people having elicit sex.

    I also wonder--with this and my earlier admission about EC books I've read--if I am completely missing the whole "dark, dangerous" side of this alpha type. Either I am missing its appeal, or I've had enough personal experience to know that it's a crock.

    Relationships / marriage are hard enough (no additional "issues" needed, regardless of how sexy they appear). Equal emotional footing and respect are must-haves. And I don't think I'll ever accept that a relationship can work without either.

    Jennifer B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book when it came out too, because it was a historical western and those are so hard to find. I didn't even finish it. I really disliked this book. I remember one think in particular bothered me and that was the heroine kept calling the hero Sir. That drove me crazy, among other things. I did however like the cover.

    KarenB

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails