Sunday, November 13, 2005

Someone to Believe in by Kathryn Shay

I love Kathryn Shay's books. Haven't read one that I didn't like. I was a little hesitant to read this one, I must admit. The hero is a US senator, and I immediately thought - stodgy, old, corrupt. Uh uh. Senator Clay Wainwright comes across as very human, with a real life and real life problems. The heroine, Bailey, struggles to get teens out of gangs. Clay, her nemesis, has different thoughts on how this should be done, and refuses to fund her projects. He is also the man, who as DA, put her in jail for a year a decade earlier. Needless to say, they don't like each other very much. But as the book progresses, they become grudgingly respectful of each other's positions, as well as increasingly attracted to one another.

Almost all of this book was believable (just a couple spots where I thought, hmmm...). My main stereotype to overcome was thinking that a senator could be hot and sexy. Kathryn Shay blew that one out of the water. Who'da thunk a senator could be so sexy and creative? The tension and disagreements between Clay and Bailey were totally on target and believable, as was their growing attraction and love. The gang situations were handled with sensitivity and came across as quite real. This one gets a thumbs up from me.

2 comments:

  1. I read this one also, Lori, and it gets a thumbs up from me also. Kathryn Shay never disappoints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another author I've never read. But will now. Keep this up and I'll end up with a TBR. Then YOUUUU will be responsible when I go categorically INSANE. Laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read it? What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails